Here I am, 3 weeks into my Whole30 challenge!! Up until the past few days, I’ve been happily going along, not really convinced that for me Whole30 has changed much, but happy in knowing exactly what I’m eating, and feeling all around really good. But then, I discovered a possible game changer.
So…what is it?
I’m waking up after 8 hours sleep with NO alarm.
This may not seem like a big deal to you, but let’s add in a bit of back story.
- I am not a morning person. Not even a little bit.
- I don’t sleep through alarms, but I need one to get up, and quite often, if I can manage it, re-set it for 15 or 30 mins later.
- I love sleep.
- I have always just thought I was someone who needed more sleep.
- If I let myself sleep, with no alarm, I will almost always wake up after 9 or 10 hours of sleep.
- In the past, I have turned to coffee to fuel my mornings and wake my brain up. BUT, coffee for me is a domino food (because I drink mine with flavoured creamer, it leads to more “questionable” choices.
- I haven’t had any coffee since starting Whole30
- I have quit coffee in the past, and have never noticed a huge change in my energy levels, even after a few weeks, so this is definitely not a caffeine dependency issue.
I first noticed this new sleeping/awake thing on Saturday. I had to get up early to go do my long run, and I would’ve started later, but Chloe needed to be done by a certain time, and I had run solo the day before, so I was happy to have someone to do part of my LSD run with me! Anyways, I got up, and was out the door to get running with no issues. I barely yawned, or whined to myself (Jay was still sleeping).
Sunday we were both up relatively early to go for a trail run with friends, which I’m going to blog about shortly, because it was such a great run!! But, again no real tired or cranky feelings this morning.
Monday’s are normally my roughest morning, which I’m sure they are for most people! This Monday, I woke up 30 mins before my alarm, and was wide awake, ready to go. WEIRD.
This morning, SAME thing happened. I woke up before my alarm, and didn’t go back to sleep.
I wouldn’t say that all my morning tiredness is 100% gone, I wouldn’t go that far. But, I would say, that I’m definitely not used to being this awake in the morning, especially without coffee. I am really interested to see how this plays out. If this is a side effect of cutting sugar, then maybe IT IS the plan for me…I’ve been saying for YEARS, that I would LOVE to be a morning person. Maybe, just maybe, I can be!!
I’m going to be carefully monitoring the last week, and my sleep/awakeness in particular.
I’m also happy to report that this weekend, even though I ran both mornings, I wasn’t as “I want/need my post run coffee treat” as I was the last 2 weekends. Baby steps.
My game plan for the last week is to just keep it up. We’ve got a family dinner on Saturday, where I’ll be bringing my own dinner, and maybe an appy & a side dish, just to prove that Whole30 isn’t boring or gross food. I will avoid the desserts, and instead take myself out of the room to help with dishes instead of sitting around with desserts in front of me. Otherwise, I don’t think I’ll be hugely tempted, especially knowing I’m so close to finishing off my 30 days! I plan to do 32 days because of the way my schedule works, and then fuel my next race on March 2nd with gels, have a couple treats, some sushi for sure, and then re-evaluate.