The #beaststreak was such a popular community challenge, that a couple of us got to talking, and decided to do something for December too. Don’t worry, we’re not RUNNING everyday! Instead, we’re going to pledge to do something good for your body, mind, or soul, every day in December, leading up to Christmas.
With the help of some amazing friends, I’ve compiled a list of 24 things for you to do – 1 each day. And trust me, there’s lots on this list that have nothing to do with running, and are do-able for everyone!
So, I’m asking you to commit to 24 Day of Christmas Karma with me. The rules are simple, just do all these things before Christmas, ideally one a day, but if you do 2 or 3 in 1 day, no biggie. And you can do them in ANY order you choose.
- Snowshoeing (if you don’t happen to live in a place where that’s possible, go for a run in the sand)
- Buy lunch for a friend, co-worker, family member
- Bake cookies (or buy a box of donuts if you are baking stupid), and randomly drop them off at a seniors centre.
- Go for a run without a watch, cellphone, music, no technology whatsoever!
- Give a minimum of 10 hugs in 1 day. I should mention, this means 10 different people!
- Don’t text for an entire day. If you want to say something, pick up a phone, and phone your friend.
- Do a double run day – one in the am, one in the pm. (hint – doesn’t matter how long each run is!)
- Make a Christmas ornament – you choose whether to keep it or give it away.
- Give the gift of a race registration for you and a friend to do together. (there’s tons of inexpensive races out there)
- Climb the BCMC or if you don’t live local, find the tallest building you can, and climb up, up, up, a total of at least 45 minutes of climbing (take the elevator down in-between)
- Donate something. A coat, some canned goods, your choice, just make a donation.
- Ask a friend or random you don’t normally run with to take you on their favorite route.
- Offer to baby-sit, or dog-sit, or dog walk, completely for free – friend or random! Well, maybe not a totally random baby…
- Write a letter, postcard, and send it real mail, to whomever you choose. (Preferably me!)
- Read 1 book in December (hint : it doesn’t matter how long it is)
- Ice skating! (or rollerblading for anyone without ice arenas…) **hint you could offer to take friend’s kids ice skating and knock off this and babysitting at the same time!!
- Yoga. At least 1 practice. In a studio, at home, doesn’t matter. Jen C is going to be leading a class for some of the Ladies of the Trails that you can attend if you want as well – details to come.
- Volunteer. Your choice where, when, how.
- The age old pay it forward – in a drive thru, or in a coffee shop, just make it happen.
- Reconnect with someone you’ve been meaning to.
- Try a food you haven’t tried before – can be a new restaurant style, or a vegetable you’ve never cooked – be creative!
- Go for a run and say “Hello” and “Merry Christmas” to everyone you see. Bonus points if you sing a carol too.
- Eat vegetarian and no processed foods for one day. You must make everything that goes into your mouth.
- Last but not least…Take a family member for tea, preferably an older member of your family that you don’t get to see very often one on one.
There you have it! 24 things that you can easily get done in the first 24 days of December to make yourself feel good – body, mind, and soul.
Join me, in the 24 days of Christmas Karma!
Oh and PS – The Ugly Sweater Trail Run is happening this Saturday!!! Don’t forget to get your ugly sweater ready, bake some Christmas goods to enter our baking contest, and dig out some outerwear to donate to the homeless at our event! All details can be found here, and I’ll be doing a reminder post tomorrow